Saturday 19 May 2012

Layouts for memories

Now that I am on leave from work,, and planning my retirement, I am free to travel as I wish. Recently I made a trip to South Australia, capital city Adelaide and the wine growing region Barossa Valley. I visited in Autumn and was amazed at the beautiful colours in the trees and in the leaf litter. This photo was one taken in Hahndorf at the homestead, The Cedars, home to Hans Heysen an Australian landscape, still life and lifestyle artist from the early 20th century. I love his Australian landscapes- wide open places, towering gums, mysterious shady spots, far blue hills, but more so his lovely character studies of life in those distant days.
And listening to our informative guide when in his studio, I could almost see him prepping and creating for his large scale art works. I was impressed with how meticulous he was to his art and getting things to appear balanced, with sketches, grids, blocking, use of light- not so much different from my hobby digital scrapping, or Tracey's serious photography.




No comments: